Calf raise – single leg with band
An active, weight-bearing exercise for the lower leg, ankle and foot, with added focus on the medial arch of the foot.
- loop one end of a resistance band around one ankle, pull the band medially (in the direction away from the inside surface of the ankle), with the other end looped or tied to something fixed solidly to the ground
- lift the un-banded foot off the ground and keep it out of the way of the band
- maintaining your balance, lift your heel of the banded leg off the ground, also focusing on maintaining good position of the medial arch (ie: avoid pronating too much)
- lower back down in a controlled manner
- repeat as needed
- NOTE: these exercises can be varied (speed, duration, load) and you can focus on different phases of the movement