Weight-bearing eccentric exercise for the trunk and lower extremity, involving the back extensors, gluteal, hamstring and quadriceps muscles.
- standing, spine neutral, maintaining proper foot position and lower extremity alignment
- gently “spread the floor” to create some lateral hip stability
- keeping the spine neutral “hinge” or flex forward at the hips while bending the knees and posteriorly translating the pelvis
- maintain appropriate loading through the feet (50:50 rearfoot:forefoot, or slightly more on the heels)
- return to the start position
- gradually increase speed and “drop” into the squat, stopping within the comfortable range, and not beyond 90 degrees of a knee bend
- repeat as needed