Focused side flexion – lumbar region
A spinal side flexion stretch focused primarily on the lumbar spine. Can be helpful in cases of scoliosis.
- Lying on one side, with the side-to-be-lengthened up (concave side up in cases of scoliosis)
- place a small roll or bolster on the ground, under the aspect of the lumbar spine being targeted
- hips and knees slightly flexed for comfort
- reach the stretch side arm overhead
- hold and repeat as needed
- NOTE: the stretch can be increased by side-flexing towards the ground in the first step, ie: bring the ground-side shoulder and pelvis closer together