Hip flexor stretch
Stretch for the anterior aspect of the hip, involving the iliacus, psoas and rectus femoris muscles.
- standing in a lunge position
- if resting the back leg on the floor, consider using a mat for the knee
- slightly tuck the pelvis, or posteriorly tilt it, as you move it forward (for iliacus)
- reach the stretch side arm up or slightly over to the other side, to help lengthen or sideflex the lumbar spine (for psoas)
- stretch should be felt primary in the anterior aspect of the hip
- hold and repeat as needed