Shoulder mobility: Assisted external rotation in abduction
Shoulder mobility exercise for external rotation, using a stick or dowel, with the movement assisted by the opposite arm.
- With the stretch-side arm abducted to 90 degrees, grasp one end of the dowel and have it run down the back of the forearm
- reach across the body with the other arm and grasp the lower end of the dowel
- imagine the axis of rotation as being through the upper arm
- ensuring the shoulder remains in a relatively relaxed and centered position, apply a gentle force pulling the lower end of the dowel forward, which will exert a backwards pull on the upper end of thew dowel.
- move through the comfortable range as directed